Weight-loss (bariatric) surgery
Our bariatric surgeons offer hope to people who are severely overweight (obese) and cannot lose weight on their own. Bariatric surgery limits how much food your stomach can hold, so you feel full after eating smaller portions. We offer many options, including gastric sleeve and gastric bypass.
What you should know about bariatric surgery
- Bariatric surgery may be right for you if your height-to-weight ratio or body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher.
- You may be eligible for surgery with a lower BMI if you also have a weight-related condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
Why choose Geisinger for your bariatric surgery?
- Experience: Our bariatric surgeons have performed more than 1,000 procedures. This extensive experience includes using minimally invasive techniques such as robotic surgery whenever possible. Robotic surgery helps us perform surgery with a greater level of precision than other techniques and lowers your risk of complications. You can expect to get back to your daily activities in just a few days. Read more about robotic surgery.
- Commitment to delivering the best possible care: Our program maintains Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) accreditation. MBSAQIP is a national program that sets strict standards for high quality bariatric care.
- Excellent outcomes: We are developing a ProvenCare® model for gastric bypass. Geisinger’s ProvenCare® uses a standard approach from start to finish for complex procedures such as gastric bypass. We consult research and top specialists to develop the safest, most effective way to perform procedures. By consistently following the same surgical steps, we help you achieve excellent results. Find out more about ProvenCare®.
- Support: Having a team that can anticipate your needs makes all the difference when you’re trying to lose weight. We provide personalized education and support to help you make steady progress toward your weight-loss goals.