Adrenal hormone disorders generally fall into two categories, adrenal hormone overproduction or underproduction, and can be managed through medication and surgery.
What you should know about adrenal disorders
- Cushing’s syndrome is an adrenal hormone disorder where releases from the pituitary gland, adrenal gland, or other sources cause the body to produce too much cortisol. The disease is caused by a pituitary tumor, adrenal tumor or ectopic tumors. Symptoms can include central body obesity, diabetes, abnormal weight gain, stretch marks, edema and bruising.
- Addison’s disease is too little cortisol production and is caused by immune anti-body deconstruction of adrenal hormone producing cells.
- Hyperaldosteronism is often associated with high blood pressure with low potassium levels. It is caused by too much production of aldosterone by one or both adrenal glands, a hormone that regulates salt and water balance.
- Androgen excess in women may be associated with abnormal hair growth and change in women’s menstrual cycles.
Why choose Geisinger for your adrenal disorder care?
- Our team works to accurately determine the source of your condition and treat it with medication, surgery and ongoing monitoring, while providing treatment for any other endocrine disorders, including diabetes and cancer.