Geisinger is one of the only centers in the region capable of treating movement disorders, including tremors from Parkinson’s disease. Our team includes neurologists and neurosurgeons with specialty training in movement disorders. This level of expertise helps us tailor treatments, including therapies, medications and surgery, to determine the most appropriate care for your condition.
We help many people reclaim their independence using a team approach to care. Our specialists, which also include neuropsychologists and neurophysiologists, perform detailed evaluations to determine how the movement disorder is affecting you. We regularly collaborate with multidisciplinary specialty teams to ensure quality care and successful outcomes, even for the most complex cases.
We help you get relief from movement disorder symptoms such as:
- Difficulty walking or maintaining your balance
- Jerky, repetitive movements
- Painful muscle spasms in your neck (dystonia)
Why choose Geisinger for movement disorders care?
- Broad range of medications: Our neurologists recommend medications and tailor doses based on the diagnosis and symptoms. We also consider your personal preferences, making it easier to tailor treatments and minimize side effects. To quiet the sudden, uncontrolled movements of Parkinson’s, your care may include a combination of existing and recently approved drugs.
- Advanced treatments: If severe tremors, painful muscle contractions or other Parkinson’s disease symptoms do not improve with medication, we offer deep brain stimulation (DBS). This innovative treatment uses an implantable device, similar to a pacemaker, to reorder the brain signals that cause movement disorders. To ensure the highest level of safety, a neurosurgeon specializing in DBS will perform your procedure and program the device to meet your unique needs. For your convenience, we can adjust the settings as needed during office visits. Find out more about neurology and neurosurgery.
- Access: If you need care between appointments, we help expedite access to a neurologist. If you have questions, you may also connect with our specialists by phone or the secure messaging feature of myGeisinger.
- Specialized therapy: We use clinically proven techniques for improving voice, swallowing and movement for people with Parkinson’s disease. Our therapists are certified to deliver innovative therapies known as LVST BIG® and LVST LOUD®, so you can feel confident you are receiving therapies that meet your needs.
Movement disorders conditions and treatments
Individuals with Parkinson’s disease and some movement disorders benefit from our multidisciplinary care approach, even when other treatments weren’t successful. Our team skillfully delivers therapies that provide the best possible outcomes for you.
- Essential tremor
- Huntington's disease
- Multiple system atrophy
- Parkinson's disease
- Restless leg syndrome
- Tourette syndrome
- Wilson's syndrome