The Neurophysiology Department is staffed by highly trained physicians and technologists with extensive experience performing and interpreting testing on the central and peripheral nervous system.
What you should know about neurophysiology
- Tests include:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) – used to detect abnormal electrical activity in the brain, to confirm an epilepsy diagnosis or to evaluate dementia.
- Video Long Term Monitoring for Epilepsy – patients are admitted to our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU) for continuous EEG monitoring and observation to evaluate and treat seizures.
- Patients may come to the unit for identification of a typical spell, to have medication adjusted or for surgical evaluation.
- Ambulatory EEG – allows EEG recording over an extended period of time at home.
- Electromyogram (EMG) – used to detect diseases that damage muscle tissue, nerves, or the junctions between nerves and muscle, or to find the cause of weakness, paralysis or muscle twitching.
- Evoked Potential (EP) test – used to evaluate and record how quickly and completely nerve signals reach the brain.
- Humphrey Visual Field – an eye examination that can detect dysfunction in the central and peripheral vision.
- IntraOperative Neuromonitoring – uses a combination of techniques such as EEG, EMG, and Evoked Potentials to reduce the risk of damage to the nervous system during surgery.
- Transcranial Doppler – a non-invasive, painless ultrasound that uses high frequency sound waves to measure the rate and direction of blood flow inside the head.
Why choose Geisinger for your neurophysiology?
- Geisinger is a Level 4 Epilepsy Center as designated by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. We serve adult and pediatric patients and combined with fellowship-trained physicians, offer comprehensive care and treatment, including epilepsy surgery.
- The Neurophysiology Lab has earned the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine (AANEM) accreditation.
- All technologists are registered, holding credentials in their sub-specialized area.
Treats these conditions
An accurate and quick diagnosis of neurological conditions is important to getting the appropriate treatment. That’s why we offer advanced neurophysiology testing for:
- Spells of unknown origin
- Sleep disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Vision deficits
- Myastenia Gravis
- Bell’s Palsy
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Cervical and Lumbar disc disease