Palliative and supportive care
Our palliative medicine specialists are experienced in the compassionate care of patients facing life-limiting advanced illnesses, including cancer, severe infections, trauma, or heart, lung, liver, kidney or neurologic disease.
We understand that living with these kinds of illnesses can cause physical, emotional and mental stress. That’s why we provide coordination of care, optimal symptom management, educational resources, and family and emotional support throughout all treatment stages.
What you should know about palliative and supportive care
- Palliative care may begin at any time following the diagnosis of a potentially life-threatening or incurable illness. Palliative care services may include:
- Some illnesses include cancer, severe infections, trauma, or heart, lung, liver, kidney or neurologic disease
- Management of symptoms such as pain, nausea and shortness of breath during treatment
- Helping patients understand their prognosis and treatment options and define their healthcare goals
- Assistance with advance directive and CPR decisions
- Assistance with developing an in-home, nursing home or hospice care plan
- Coordination of care and support for patients and their families
Why choose Geisinger for your palliative and supportive care?
- Our palliative care and hospice specialists provide round-the-clock consultation and care for patients managing life-threatening illnesses.
- We will develop a plan to aggressively treat a patient’s symptoms and work with other healthcare providers to make sure the symptoms are continuously managed.
- Our team will care can provide care at home, in the hospital, or in an inpatient short- or long-term care facility. We can also see patients and families at an outpatient clinic and will work with your family doctor or medical specialist to provide optimal treatments.
Palliative and supportive care treatments
Geisinger’s palliative and supportive care specialists provide comfort, care and support to patients suffering from:
- End-of-life conditions
- Life-limiting illness