Ingrown toenails are a common condition occurring when the corner or side of a toenail grows into the soft flesh. The result is pain, redness, swelling and, sometimes, an infection. Ingrown toenails usually affect the big toe.
Our experienced podiatry specialists treat ingrown toenails to reduce discomfort, address infection and prevent the condition from recurring.
What you should know about ingrown toenails
- Treatment for ingrown toenails includes:
- Lifting the nail edge to help the nail grow properly
- Trimming or removing the ingrown portion of the nail
- Removing a portion of the nail and underlying tissue
- For recurring or severe cases, permanent nail removal is required
- People with diabetes or another condition that causes poor blood flow to the feet have a higher risk of infection from ingrown toenails