Pulmonology uses advanced medicine to help patients manage the challenges of living with lung disease. Our physicians are specialists who diagnose and treat common and complex pulmonary conditions of the lungs and the rest of the respiratory system.
What you should know about pulmonology
- The respiratory system is made up of the organs that help you breathe: the airway, the lungs and the respiratory muscles.
- Pulmonologists handle several types of respiratory disorders, including infectious, structural, inflammatory and neoplastic (tumor-based) conditions.
- Other common pulmonology areas include lung transplantation, obstructive lung disease, sleep disordered breathing, interstitial lung disease and pulmonary vascular disease (pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary embolism).
- Pulmonologists typically treat asthma, bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema and obstructive sleep apnea.
Why choose Geisinger for your pulmonology care?
- We combine years of pulmonology experience and research to help treat the specific causes of our patients’ lung problems.
- Our pulmonologists help patients and their families manage the everyday symptoms of lung disease, as well as lung cancer, working one-on-one to create a plan unique to each patient’s needs.
Pulmonology conditions we treat
We diagnose and treat pulmonary and respiratory conditions including:
- Allergies and asthma
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and emphysema
- Cystic fibrosis
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
- Interstitial lung disease (such as pulmonary fibrosis)
- Lung cancer diagnosis and staging
- Lung nodule management
- Pediatric pulmonary
- Pleural disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Respiratory failure
- Respiratory infections (pneumonia, atypical pneumonia, bronchitis and fungal infections)
- Tuberculosis (and other mycobacterial infections)