Rheumatology is a specialty devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of arthritic and autoimmune conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, Systemic Lupus, Sjogren’s, vasculitides, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and many other immune and musculoskeletal conditions.
What you should know about rheumatology
- Rheumatic diseases have a variety of manifestations. They can cause systemic symptoms similar to infections, can affect multiple organ systems and can be associated with pain, stiffness and swelling in joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones.
- Because the symptoms of these diseases can seem like many other disorders, diagnosing and treating a rheumatology condition can be difficult. Our rheumatology specialists have passed rigorous exams (are board-certified) and are specially trained identify these conditions and determine the best treatment options.
Why choose Geisinger for your rheumatology care?
- Our team approach combines years of rheumatology clinical experience with research to help diagnose and treat the specific cause of your symptoms, whether it’s arthritic, an autoimmune disease or other rheumatic disease.
- The department actively engages in best practice reviews to ensure that we are using the most up-to-date diagnostic and treatment strategies. Geisinger has an extensive network of doctors, nurses and pharmacists in multiple disciplines with whom we partner to ensure the best care is delivered to each patient we see.
Rheumatology conditions and treatments
- Connective tissue inflammatory disorders
- Inflammatory muscle disorders (such as polymyositis and dermatomyositis)
- Infusion therapy
- Personalized treatment and follow-up care
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis