Varicose veins are enlarged veins found in the legs due to the constant pressure on the veins from standing and walking. Varicose veins can be unsightly, and they can cause pain, swelling and itching.
What you should know about varicose veins
- For some people, varicose veins are just a cosmetic issue. For others, varicose veins can cause a great deal of pain and discomfort.
- In a minority of patients, varicose veins can lead to skin problems and ulceration.
- Besides laser treatment, varicose veins may also be treated with radiofrequency ablation, which uses heat to create scar tissue to close the vein. Stab phlebectomy is sometimes used, which removes varicose veins through tiny incisions.
Why choose Geisinger for your varicose veins care
- Minimally invasive therapy for varicose veins has replaced standard vein stripping procedures. Newer vein therapies allow for a quicker recovery.
- Our vascular surgeons have been providing minimally invasive varicose vein procedures for many years and continually update procedures to get the latest technology available.
Varicose veins can be treated with:
- Laser treatment
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Stab phlebectomy
- Compression stockings