Carotid artery disease
Carotid artery disease occurs when the artery carrying blood to the brain narrows, which is dangerous and can lead to strokes.
What you should know about carotid artery disease
- When carotid artery stenting is used to treat carotid artery disease, a stent is placed into the artery to allow better blood flow.
- Carotid endarterectomy involves making an incision in the neck to remove plaque from the artery.
Why choose Geisinger for your carotid artery disease?
- Our vascular surgeons have passed rigorous exams (are board-certified) and have decades of experience diagnosing and treating carotid artery disease using minimally invasive and traditional surgical procedures.
- Our vascular surgeons were the only doctors in the region to participate with the NIH sponsored carotid stent trial, CREST (carotid revascularization versus stenting trial) due to their vast experience with carotid stenting.
- Our vascular surgeons are one of the first in the world to perform carotid stenting with the TransCarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR).
We treat carotid artery disease with:
- Medical management
- Carotid artery stenting
- Carotid endarterectomy