Your knees are responsible for carrying a lot of weight, which means that knee pain is one of the most common types of orthopaedic pain we see at Geisinger. Arthritis, joint disease, worn cartilage, tendon and ligament tears, and other conditions can all cause severe knee pain.
Knee pain and knee injuries can affect people of all ages and activity levels. We have dedicated knee specialists and a wide variety of minimally invasive and surgical treatments to help relieve knee pain.
If a partial or full knee replacement is necessary, Geisinger orthopaedic surgeons have the latest innovation in joint replacement technology to help patients get back on their feet faster and return to the activities they enjoy. Geisinger is the exclusive home to the Mako™ robotic-arm–assisted surgery as a treatment option in central and northeastern Pennsylvania.
What you should know about knee pain:
- One risk factor for knee pain is being overweight, because it can strain your knees. Overuse is also a leading cause of knee pain and injury. People with a history of arthritis may also be at risk for knee pain.
- Common knee injuries include:
- Knee cap fracture
- Iliotibial band (IT band) syndrome, pain outside your kneecap which may run up to your hip
- Runner’s knee, or pain in the front of your knee
- Sprain or strain
- Torn ligament
- Torn cartilage
Why choose Geisinger for your knee pain care?
- Exclusive care: Geisinger is the first and only healthcare provider in central and northeast Pennsylvania to offer the Mako™ robotic-arm–assisted surgery for partial knee and total knee replacement surgery.
- Mako™ robotic-arm technology provides your surgeon with a patient-specific 3-D model of your knee to preplan your knee replacement. During surgery, your surgeon guides the robotic arm based on your specific plan. This helps provide more accurate placement and alignment of your implant resulting in a more natural fit and feel and improved joint longevity.
- Because of the precision and attention to each individual’s anatomy, Mako™ can also cut down on the amount of healing and rehabilitation time.
- For more information about Mako™ robotic-arm–assisted surgery and to learn if it can work for you, click here.
- At Geisinger, you are our top priority. That’s why we offer programs such as our lifetime hip and lifetime knee replacements—exclusive care that’s only available at Geisinger—to help you live your best life. This guarantee, the first of its kind in the world, offers a lifetime warranty on hip and knee replacement surgeries
- Leader in knee replacement: We offer both total knee replacement and partial knee replacement. We also perform bilateral knee replacement, which means having both knee joints replaced at once. Our knee replacement surgeries are part of ProvenCare, Geisinger’s program that standardizes quality care. We also focus on helping people prepare and recover from knee replacement surgery.
- Destination for multiligament knee reconstruction: We are a leader in multiligament reconstruction. This complex surgery rebuilds the ligaments of the knee, often using a tissue graft from another part of the body. People with severe knee ligament damage seek us out for this specialized surgery.
- Focus on athletes and wellness: Knee pain can quickly sideline athletes. That is why we try to get ahead of the pain, and treat it sooner rather than later. Through our dedicated sports medicine program, we are able to help keep athletes in the game.