Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes unwanted fat pockets in certain parts of your body, such as your hips, thighs and abdomen. Our skilled cosmetic providers use the latest technologies to reduce recovery time, discomfort and bruising.
Geisinger’s experienced surgeons often combine liposuction with other body contouring procedures such as a thigh lift or tummy tuck. We offer both traditional liposuction and Vaser® Lipo, which uses ultrasound waves to break up fat before eliminating it.
What you should know about liposuction:
- Liposuction is an effective fat-reduction and body-shaping procedure, but it is not intended for weight loss. Ideal candidates should be in good health and close to, or within, their target body weight.
- Liposuction removes fat cells permanently. However, new fat cells can grow back, causing new lumps and bulges. It’s important to maintain a healthy weight after the procedure.
Why choose Geisinger for your liposuction?
- Welcoming, informative and confidential: Every procedure starts with a confidential consultation with one of our specially trained doctors. We listen to your body-contouring goals, discuss options, set realistic expectations and answer all questions.
- Skilled body-contouring providers: Our experienced providers use the latest technology to target areas such as thighs, abdomen, arms, back, hips, buttocks and chest. Their skilled approach allows them to not only remove fat deposits but also to refine your shape.
- More options: All liposuction procedures use a technique to break up fat before making an incision. A thin tube called a cannula is inserted through the incision and is used to suction out the fat. At Geisinger, we offer two types of liposuction, so our surgeons can choose the most effective technique for you:
- Standard (tumescent) liposuction: During standard liposuction, we inject a local anesthesia (numbing agent) into the treatment area. This solution helps minimize blood loss and discomfort during the procedure.
- Vaser® Lipo: We use ultrasound waves to break apart the fat cells, making it easier to suction them out.