Neck and back pain
You have 33 bones in your spine, stacked on top of one another. Problems at any point along the spine can cause neck and back pain, greatly affecting your quality of life. We help you determine the source of your pain, then treat it in the least invasive way possible.
What you should know about back and neck pain:
- Injuries are a major cause of back and neck pain, as are bone changes such as spinal stenosis (spinal canal narrowing) that happen as you age. Conditions such as scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and other spinal deformities can also cause pain.
- We treat a wide range of back and neck conditions:
- Compression fractures
- Disc degeneration
- Herniated cervical and lumbar disc
- Kyphosis (rounding or hunching of the back)
- Localized back pain
- Myelopathy (compression of the spinal cord)
- Scoliosis (curvature of the spine)
- Spine trauma
- Spondylolisthesis (slippage of the spine)
- Stenosis, sciatic nerve, narrowing of the spinal canal or pinched nerves
Why choose Geisinger to treat your neck and back pain?
- Leader in correcting spine deformities: We have a world-renowned spine surgery program, known for correcting complicated spinal deformities. We treat both congenital spine conditions (those you are born with) and those that develop through life’s wear and tear. We are able to correct many deformities through spinal fusion or spine stabilization surgery. These surgeries help straighten out the spine and improve mobility.
- Destination for back pain: Our Comprehensive Spine Center offers a team of spine providers working together to find the right treatment for your back pain. Our team includes a nurse navigator who helps coordinate your care. Because of our level of specialized skills, patients specifically travel to Geisinger to see our orthopaedic care physicians.
- Wide range of treatments: Our goal is to help you live an active, pain-free life. We offer a wide range of treatments, including non-surgical approaches. If you do need surgery, our nurse navigators are available to lead you through the process and answer all questions. We believe in shared decision-making, with your spine team helping you decide how to best approach the health challenges you face.
Our spinal care team offers a variety of treatments for your back and neck pain, including:
- Orthopaedic surgery : Our surgeons use a range of surgical techniques to help treat bone, joint or ligament problems and manage pain.