Sports medicine focuses on injury prevention for athletes, treating sports-related injuries and weekend warriors. In sports medicine, we specifically focus on active children and adults who are playing, performing and competing at all levels. We help all athletes stay healthy and manage the challenges of their sport.
Why choose Geisinger for sports medicine?
- Largest sports medicine program in the region: We have the largest concentration of sports medicine providers in the region, including athletic trainers, orthopaedic surgeons and affiliated doctors. We cover universities and high schools, as well as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins professional hockey team. Our providers are nationally recognized for their work with athletes.
- Comprehensive treatments: We know that athletes want to minimize downtime. We offer many types of orthopaedic surgery for sports injuries, as well as a number of non-surgical treatments. From minimally invasive procedures such as arthroscopic surgery to injection therapies, ultrasound and rehabilitation, we help you get back in the game.
- Care where it matters: We not only treat athletes at our hospitals, we bring our specialists to you. We are the only program in the region able to offer musculoskeletal ultrasound at sporting events. This technology allows us to deliver a pinpoint injection treatment using ultrasound guidance, meaning you don’t miss playing the second half of the game.
- Education and injury prevention: We work directly with athletes and coaches to help prevent injuries. We do this through clinics, workshops and dedicated concussion training. We also offer speed and agility camps for high school athletes.
- Ongoing research: Our research involves new techniques and thinking around treating athletes. Our commitment to research translates into more advanced care and better outcomes.
Sports Medicine conditions and treatments
Our sports medicine specialists work with athletes of all ages and abilities to treat injuries, as well as help prevent them.