Primary care services
Geisinger provides the primary care you need, whether you are recovering from an injury or illness, managing a chronic disease, or just trying to stay healthy. We offer a range of tests and treatments at more than 50 locations, providing local care and, when necessary, directing you where you need to go.
Why choose Geisinger for your primary care services?
- Range of services: We offer lab work, X-rays, and other tests and imaging, either at your primary care office or nearby. Everyone who chooses our care can join the MyCode Community Health Initiative by donating blood. Participation helps us study genes and disease and may provide you with findings related to your health. We also offer genetic testing if you have an increased risk for cancer or heart disease.
- Access to specialists: You gain access to doctors covering a range of other specialties and services, from cardiology to women’s health. Many locations have on-site specialists, while others have them visit through our outreach programs. If you cannot come at those times or your site does not offer a particular service, we help you find a Geisinger specialist nearby.
- Pharmacy help: Pharmacists at a number of primary care locations can answer additional questions about medications your doctor may prescribe. These pharmacists can also help if you face particular challenges taking your medications or have questions about a prescription. Learn more about our pharmacy.
- Focus on prevention: We help you avoid health challenges whenever possible. If you do develop a problem, we want to identify it as soon as possible for more effective treatment. We build prevention into our electronic medical records, with reminders for vaccinations, health screenings, blood sugar and cholesterol testing, and other precautions. We are among the nation’s top 5 providers in meeting testing and screening recommendations.
Primary care services conditions and treatments
We have your primary care covered, with an extensive list of services available either on-site or easily coordinated at a nearby Geisinger location:
- Addiction counseling
- Chronic disease care
- Cuts and other injuries
- Lab work related to blood-sugar, cholesterol
- Physicals and wellness visits
- Scans, including bone density (DXA), echocardiogram, X-ray
- Screenings for colonoscopies, mammograms, pap smears, prostate specific antigen (PSA), HIV, hepatitis B
- Sprains and strains
- Infections like the flu, strep throat, earache
- Tests, including electrocardiogram (EKG), pulmonary function
- Vaccinations for illnesses like the flu, measles, tetanus, pneumonia, shingles