Liver and kidney failure are major public health issues often optimally treated by life-saving organ transplantation. Organ transplant surgery has saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of individuals, and Geisinger has been providing lifesaving organ transplants since 1981.
Our patients benefit from a comprehensive multi-disciplinary transplant team, which includes specially-trained surgeons, physicians, nurses, social workers, dietitians, pharmacists and financial counselors, as well as collaborating specialty providers, which include cardiologists, pulmonologists and urologists, among others.
What you should know about transplant surgery
- We offer kidney and liver transplant surgery for patients with end-stage kidney and liver disease, including combined liver/kidney transplantation.
- We also perform complex hepatobiliary (e.g. laparoscopic and open liver resection for tumors, bile duct repairs) procedures, and dialysis access procedures.
- As part of our comprehensive care mission, we provide advanced care of liver and kidney failure both before and after a life-saving transplant.
- While all transplant procedures take place at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, we offer pre- and post-surgery services at other locations including Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center in Wilkes-Barre and Geisinger-Grays Woods near State College.
Why choose Geisinger for your transplant surgery?
- Our team has performed more than 1,300 successful transplants since our program began in 1981. Our program survival statistics are as good or better than national assessment averages.
- We have professionals who were trained at world-renowned institutions, including Columbia University, Washington University/St. Louis, Drexel and Temple, among others.
- Our transplant department is part of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. For paired living-donor kidney transplantation, we’re a member of the Alliance for Paired Donation.
- Our transplant program is Medicare approved and United Network for Organ Sharing certified.
Transplant surgery treatments
We offer a full range of organ transplant options, including: