Surgery includes specialized procedures that take place inside the body, such as in your intestines (hernia repair) or heart (heart surgery). Our surgeons use the latest techniques, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery. You may even be able to go home the same day.
There are many reasons you may need surgery, including procedures to:
- Relieve pain and treat infection
- Remove tumors
- Take a tissue sample (biopsy)
- Treat serious injuries, such as burns
- Improve your appearance
Why choose Geisinger for your surgery?
- Specialized care: Many of our surgeons have completed advanced training (fellowships) in specific types of surgery. This level of care leads to improved accuracy and fewer complications. Our colorectal surgeons remove abnormal growths (polyps) in hard-to-reach areas of the colon without harming healthy tissue. Find out more about colorectal surgery.
- Safe, effective surgical care: Our ProvenCare® approach uses the latest research and recommendations to achieve exceptional outcomes. We offer ProvenCare® methods for many types of surgery, including lung cancer and hip replacement surgery. Find out more about ProvenCare®.
- Minimally invasive surgery: We use minimally invasive techniques, such as robotic surgery whenever possible. This type of surgery offers a higher degree of precision and causes less disruption to healthy tissue than other surgical methods. You can expect smaller incisions, a shorter recovery and faster return to daily activities. Read more about robotic surgery.
Surgery conditions and treatments
It’s natural to be anxious about surgery. We explain your options and how they work. We answer any questions you may have so you know what to expect.
- Breast surgery : We offer every type of breast cancer treatment and reconstructive surgery.
- Cancer surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Cosmetic surgery
- General surgery
- Gynecological surgery
- Heart surgery : Use to treat many heart-related problems and is recommended if medication and other less-invasive treatment have not or cannot help.
- Plastic surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Bariatric surgery