Vascular disease refers to problems with blood vessels, or the arteries and veins that carry blood to and from your heart. Geisinger cardiologists and heart surgeons focus on the coronary arteries, while our vascular medicine specialists and vascular surgeons care for the blood vessels beyond the heart.
What you should know about vascular disease:
- There are many kinds of vascular conditions. Common types include:
- Family history, smoking, diabetes, and high cholesterol are all risk factors for developing vascular disease. Some types of vascular disease may be caused by sitting or standing still for long periods of time.
Why choose Geisinger for your vascular disease care?
- More vascular specialists: We have the largest vascular medicine program in the state, with more vascular specialists available 24/7. All of our vascular surgeons are board certified, meaning they have passed a rigorous certification exam.
- High-tech endovascular suites: Geisinger offers the imaging capabilities of a catheterization lab combined with an operating room. Our surgeons can perform procedures requiring vascular surgery and image-guided techniques simultaneously. This ability means you can have multiple procedures at once, but only have to undergo anesthesia and recovery one time.
- More diagnostic tests: Primary care doctors often send patients to Geisinger because of our vascular lab capabilities. We can perform many non-invasive diagnostic tests, helping us refine your diagnosis and determine the right treatment.
- Leading expertise: We are a national leader in researching the genetic factors linked to aortic aneurysms. This research is helping us identify people who may be at risk so they can get treatment. We also have specific expertise in carotid artery stenting and perform more of these procedures than any other program in the region.
Vascular disease can affect your entire body, but there are several treatments to help reduce symptoms:
- Angioplasty : This minimally invasive procedure opens a blocked artery to help restore blood flow to your heart.
- Vascular surgery : Vascular surgery treats various problems with blood vessels outside the heart.