Often characterized by chest pain, a heart attack means that your heart cannot get enough oxygen because its blood supply is blocked. Geisinger’s emergency team is ready with life-saving angioplasty treatment, which restores blood flow to your heart.
What you should know about heart attacks:
- Men and women can experience heart attack symptoms differently. The most common symptoms include:
- Chest pain in the center or left side of your chest
- Pain in one or both arms
- Shortness of breath, with or without chest pain
- Pain in the neck or jaw, back or shoulders (more common in women)
- Many heart attacks need to be treated immediately with angioplasty, which opens up the blocked artery and restores the flow of oxygen-rich blood to your heart. The longer the heart is cut off from oxygen, the more damage the heart attack can do.
Why choose Geisinger for your heart attack care?
- Fastest heart attack care in the region: We consistently top the national average for "door to balloon" time, the time between your arrival at our hospital and life-saving angioplasty balloon treatment. The quicker you are treated, the less damage to the heart and the better the chance for recovery.
- Level 1 Heart Attack Program: We partner with emergency ambulance and helicopter services, community hospitals, and angioplasty referral centers. This collaboration means patients receive the fastest treatment available.
- Specialty in women’s heart health: We have a strong women’s heart health program, including leading-edge research. In addition, all of our doctors are trained to recognize the symptoms of heart attacks in women, which can present differently than in men.