Heart surgery, or cardiac surgery, can treat many heart-related problems. These conditions include heart valve disease, arrhythmia, heart failure, structural heart defects and coronary artery disease. We may recommend surgery if medication and other less-invasive treatments have not helped, or cannot.
What you should know about heart surgery:
- Heart surgery comes with risks, such as bleeding and infection. Our experience and expertise helps us minimize your risk. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of any potential surgery, including less invasive options that may be available.
- Geisinger heart surgeons perform many types of cardiac surgery, including:
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)
- Heart valve surgery
- Heart failure surgery
- Atrial fibrillation surgery
- Congenital heart surgery
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy surgery
Why choose Geisinger for your heart surgery?
- Experienced cardiac surgeons: All Geisinger heart surgeons are board certified and fellowship trained. These credentials mean they have passed a rigorous certification exam and have advanced training in their particular specialty.
- Comprehensive surgical offerings: We lead the way in performing coronary artery bypass graft surgeries. Our capabilities extend into all types of heart surgery, including heart valve surgery and surgery for heart failure, cardiomyopathy and arrhythmia.
- Team approach to care: Heart surgery requires a team of care providers and specialists, working together before, during and after surgery. This necessity is why ProvenCare®, a Geisinger program that standardizes quality care, began with a type of cardiac surgery.
- Latest innovations: We perform the latest minimally invasive surgeries, so that you can recover faster. Our team works together to perform hybrid procedures (combining cardiac surgery with an interventional procedure) in our high-tech electrophysiology suite. Team members include:
- Cardiac electrophysiologists, or doctors who treat irregular heartbeats
- Interventional cardiologists, or doctors who perform non-surgical heart procedures
- Heart surgeons