Heart valve surgery
Heart valves may not open or close properly because of conditions such as aortic stenosis or mitral regurgitation (leaky valve). We can correct these problems with heart valve surgery. Our surgeons both repair and replace damaged heart valves.
Heart valve surgery is open-heart surgery. Your doctor will open your chest to repair or replace your valve. Though it requires a hospital stay and a recovery period, heart valve surgery can greatly reduce your symptoms and help you get back to your life.
What you should know about heart valve surgery:
- The most common types of heart valve surgery repair or replace the aortic valve or the mitral valve.
- Surgery is the best option for some types of heart valve problems and for certain people. But there are also less invasive options to repair or replace mitral and aortic valves. Talk to your doctor about which approach is right for you.
Why choose Geisinger for heart valve surgery?
- Valve repair expertise: We lead the way in repairing mitral valves. At Geisinger, the great majority of people with mitral regurgitation (leaky valve) who require surgery have their valve repaired rather than replaced. Repair is often safer and better.
- Team approach: Our heart care team works as one, carefully reviewing which cases need surgery and what other alternatives may be available. You not only benefit from your doctor’s expertise, but also the expertise and experience of everyone on the team. The team includes several top leaders in the field.
- Continuity of care: Surgery can feel overwhelming for you and your family. Our heart care team is with you every step of the way, from heart valve disease diagnosis through surgery and recovery. Our goal is to return you to doing the things you love.