Seriously ill or injured infants, children and teens need round-the-clock monitoring and intervention. Our pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) holds a Level 1 designation, meaning it provides the highest level of critical care 24 hours a day.
Our team of specially trained doctors, physician assistants, nurses and therapists save lives. They also help children return to their families, schools and playgrounds as quickly and safely as possible.
Why choose Geisinger to care for critically ill or injured children?
- Unsurpassed quality: Based at Janet Weis Children’s Hospital and operating since 1981, our PICU provides care that meets or surpasses the nation’s top children’s hospitals. It is equipped with the latest technology and run by specially trained medical providers.
- Advanced critical care: Our PICU uses advanced technologies for continuously monitoring blood pressure, breathing and heart rate. If problems occur, our hospital-based care teams quickly intervene.
- Specialized team: Our PICU is staffed by team members specially trained in pediatric critical care, working closely together to care for your child. The team includes:
- Pediatric hospitalists (hospital-based doctors)
- Surgeons and other specialized doctors, including anesthesiologists (learn more about pediatric anesthesia and sedation services)
- Pediatric dietitians
- Physical therapists (learn more about pediatric rehabilitation)
- Psychologists (learn more about pediatric behavioral health)
- Respiratory therapists
- Social workers and child life specialists
- Ronald McDonald House: When your child is hospitalized, you can remain close by. The Danville Ronald McDonald House offers families a relaxed, cozy place to stay. You’ll be comforted and supported by staff and volunteers, as well as other families with similar struggles. Learn more about the Danville Ronald McDonald House.
Critical care conditions
Our specially trained doctors and nurses provide compassionate care around the clock to children with life-threatening illnesses or injuries.
- Electrical injuries
- Injury or infection
- Post-surgery concerns
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Vehicular accidents
Related specialties and institutes
- Pediatric anesthesia and sedation services
- Pediatric Behavioral Health and Developmental Medicine
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Pediatric trauma care