Hospital-based pediatric care
Special, highly trained doctors called hospitalists provide round-the-clock attention for hospitalized children. These hospital-based doctors oversee your child’s stay and supervise procedures. They regularly update your pediatrician to ensure continued care once your child leaves the hospital.
Why choose Geisinger for your child’s hospital-based care?
Collaborative, specialized help: Our hospitalists are supported by a team of specialists dedicated to providing the highest quality care:
- Consulting doctors have subspecialty training and may be called on to offer advice when a child has multiple conditions.
- Nurses help relieve your child’s pain and fear. They advocate for your child.
- Respiratory therapists care for children who require breathing treatments.
- Nutritionists provide guidance on food and nutrition for proper healing. Learn more about clinical nutrition services.
- Rehabilitation therapists design and implement treatment programs to help your child regain independence. Learn more about pediatric rehabilitation services, including physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
- Pharmacists review your child’s medications and work with doctors and nurses to ensure safe and accurate medical therapy. Learn more about our pharmacy team.
Family-centered culture: We invite your family to partner with us in your child’s care through:
- Family-centered rounds: Your family is included in bedside rounds. These rounds ensure that everyone hears the same information at the same time, to provide safer care for your child.
- Nursing shift report: You may participate in the exchange of information that occurs when nursing shifts change. At this time your outgoing nurse will provide information to the incoming nurse, which ensures continuity of care.
- Hourly safety rounds: Use these frequent check-ins to ask questions and make sure we are meeting your child’s pain control and comfort needs.
Child-friendly services: Your child may experience fear and anxiety in the hospital. Our Child Life Department offers programs and activities that teach coping skills and minimize stress. We offer:
- Medical play to help children and families feel less anxious about medical procedures
- Education support to keep children from falling behind on schoolwork
- Pet therapy to relieve worry and isolation
- Activities and games for all ages in our playroom, which we designate a procedure-free zone
- Safe playrooms for children with compromised immune systems
- Fresh air and fun on our outdoor play deck
- Extra support for families: Our team of nurses and social workers help children and families with additional needs, including care-related financial matters and discharge planning.
- Pediatric rapid response team (PRRT): On-call pediatric critical care specialists respond quickly if a child is in distress or shows signs of rapid physical decline. Family members, visitors or hospitalized children can summon a PRRT if they notice a problem. Learn more about pediatric critical care services.
Hospital-based conditions and treatments
Take comfort in knowing our hospitalists provide round-the-clock monitoring and treatment while your child is in the hospital.
- Critical or intensive care
- Diet (specialized or therapeutic)
- Feeding tubes
- Intravenous (IV) lines to deliver fluid and medicine
- Laboratory tests
- Post-surgery care