Our pediatric neurology team diagnoses and treats a range of injuries and disorders affecting the brain and nervous system including one of the most common; seizure disorders or epilepsy. We offer a complete specialty treatment approach — from diet to surgery — to effectively manage your child’s symptoms.
These technologies help us to prescribe the best treatment options.
For children who prove to have intractable epilepsy our team offers a full range of surgical procedures, including implantation of intracranial electrodes, mapping procedures and temporal and extratemporal resections.
Why choose Geisinger for pediatric neurological care?
- Highly-specialized epilepsy care: Our pediatric neurologists have specialty training in diagnosing and treating children with epilepsy and seizure disorders. Our center has a Level IV designation from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. The designation represents the highest level of care and ensures:
- Access to highly trained epileptologists, neuropsychologists, neuroradiologists and neurosurgeons.
- Comprehensive treatment options, including medications, implanted devices, dietary therapy such as ketogenic (high fat, low carb) diets and a broad range of surgical procedures.
- The latest technologies for diagnosing and monitoring seizure disorders.
Developmental intervention: Our team is focused on diagnosis and treating developmental problems:
- Diagnosis of developmental problems such as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is essential for keeping children on track. With medication and therapy, children with ADHD can be more productive at home and in the classroom. We collaborate with Geisinger’s Autism and Developmental Medicine Institute to diagnosis and treat a full range of developmental disorders.
- Our neurologists also assess and diagnosis other development disorders including cerebral palsy, movement disorders, tic disorders and gait abnormalities.
- Our pediatric neurologists treat children suffering from sleep disorders in our child-friendly sleep lab. Sleep studies can pinpoint how to improve your child’s sleep, which can affect health and development.
Innovative technologies: Properly diagnosing neurological conditions is critical to identifying the right therapies. Geisinger offers the latest diagnostic tools and tests, including:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG): This test measures the electrical activity in the brain’s outer layer to aid in the diagnosis of seizure disorders (epilepsy). We offer EEGs at several Geisinger locations throughout the region, so you don’t have to travel far for care.
- Long-term monitoring (LTM): Video-linked EEG recordings continuously collects information over a period of time while your child is awake and asleep. LTM captures a video recording of events of concern and then evaluates what’s been recorded in the context of the brain’s electrical activity. This analysis can help with decisions about diagnosis and treatment options including epilepsy surgery.
- Electromyography (EMG): This technique helps us study electrical activity in muscles and nerves and is often combined with nerve conduction studies. With these tests, we can evaluate a wide range of muscle and nerve conditions and identify the best therapy.
- Neuro Imaging: With a staff of highly-trained neuroradiologists.
Pediatric neurological conditions and treatments
Our child-focused specialists are among the best and most experienced in the region at treating complex neurologic disorders.
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental disorders
- Migraines and headaches
- Muscular dystrophy/spinal muscular atrophy
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Tic disorders
- Ketogenic diets
- Long-term video monitoring (LTM) – routine to invasive surgical
- Responsive nerve stimulator
- Vagus nerve stimulator
Related specialties and institutes
- Pediatric sedation services
- Pediatric Behavioral Health and Developmental Medicine
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric rehabilitation