Neurology and neurosurgery
Our neurologists and neurosurgeons work together to provide innovative surgical and non-surgical care for adults and children. Getting the right treatment begins with getting an accurate diagnosis. Our specialists combine years of experience, specialized training and the latest imaging technology to accurately diagnose every neurological condition — from common to rare and complex.
Why choose Geisinger for neurology and neurosurgery care?
- Comprehensive treatment for neurological conditions: Geisinger’s neurologists and neurosurgeons treat life-threatening events like stroke as well as chronic conditions such as multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. Though we are a community hospital at heart, we are leading the way in treating many of the most serious conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord and central nervous system. We provide both inpatient and outpatient neurological care for adults and children as well as diagnostic testing and second opinions.
- Specialists who work together as a team: Our team includes fellowship-trained neurology and neurosurgery specialists (fellowship training is additional training on top of what’s required in a specific field of study). Because neurological conditions can affect every area of the body, we ensure comprehensive care and delivery of optimal treatment plans for better patient outcomes by working closely with other departments, including:
- Cutting-edge research and treatments for brain tumors: Geisinger offers innovative treatments for glioblastoma, an aggressive type of brain cancer. We provide a unique combination of laser therapy with chemotherapy for brain tumors. Our neurosurgeons also use image-guided systems that let us see the finest detail of brain anatomy and electrical monitoring of neurological function during surgery. We offer clinical trials for challenging diseases and we characterize brain tumors down to their genetic level so we can offer a more personalized treatment. Learn more about brain tumors and neuro-oncology.
- Acute stroke care: With stroke treatment, minutes count. Geisinger is a nationally recognized leader in the treatment and rehabilitation of patients who need stroke care. Our teams partner with community emergency medicine providers to make sure that patients get the best treatment from the start of their symptoms.
- Geisinger Medical Center is accredited as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. This designation represents the highest level of stroke center certification awarded to only 150 centers nationwide.
- Geisinger Community Medical Center andGeisinger Wyoming Valley have been nationally recognized for providing exceptional care for stroke patients, earning the designation of Primary Stroke Centers. They have more than 2,000 stroke counseling and treatment visits annually.
- Learn more about our stroke quality measures
- Specialized neurotrauma centers: Geisinger provides 24/7 emergency care for head, neck and spinal cord injuries. Within our system, we have a Level I trauma center, four Level II trauma centers and a Level II pediatric trauma center. Our Life Flight® medical air transportation team provides lifesaving care and specializes in transporting critical care patients to the appropriate trauma center. Find out more about how Geisinger treats neurotrauma.
Get the care you need, close to home
Our specialists combine years of experience, specialized training and the latest imaging technology to accurately diagnose every neurological condition — from common to rare and complex. We have specialists for the following conditions and treatments:
- Brain aneurysm
- Brain tumors
- Headache and facial pain
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Neuromuscular disease
- Neurotrauma and traumatic brain injury
- Pediatric neurology
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Pituitary disease and tumors
- Spinal surgery