Emergency care that's focused on your child
Emergency care tailored to your child’s needs
When your child experiences an emergency medical issue, they deserve the very best care. Children’s illnesses, injury patterns and developmental needs are different than those of adults. That’s why our pediatric emergency team is specialty trained to diagnose, treat and manage pediatric emergencies — all while tailoring the care to meet your child’s specific physical and emotional needs.
Our pediatric emergency team diagnoses and treats a wide range of emergency conditions including:
- Acute medical concerns such as fever, vomiting, serious infections, dehydration, severe allergic reactions and seizures
- Poisonings and overdoses
- Serious complications of chronic conditions such as diabetes and asthma
- Serious trauma and injuries ranging from lacerations and head injuries to broken bones
- Sprains and strains
No matter what, we’re prepared to provide your child with top-level emergency care.
Pediatric trauma care when every moment counts
For the most serious emergencies, the Geisinger Janet Weis Children’s Hospital in Danville features the only pediatric trauma program in the area. With specialized equipment and training, our team is prepared to care for your child when every moment counts.
Dedicated pediatric emergency room
Our pediatric zone at Geisinger Medical Center features bright colors, right-sized equipment and pediatric emergency specialists ready to provide emergency care to children from birth through age 18.
The pediatric zone has several rooms equipped with child-specific technology, including rooms designed for using a safe and state-of-the-art approach to sedating children for uncomfortable procedures such as setting a broken bone. And child life specialists are available in the zone to provide support and education to parents and children.
Child life specialists
The emergency room and hospital can be scary for children. To help ease your child’s anxiety, specialists from child life services are available to provide age-appropriate explanations and distractions.
A care team focused on you and your child
Whether you visit the pediatric zone or one of our other emergency room locations, your child will have a care team that consists of:
- Doctors, including those with training in pediatric emergency medicine
- Pediatricians and pediatric sub-specialists
- Nurses, including those with additional pediatric training
- Respiratory therapists
- Child life specialists
Pediatric emergency care at Geisinger
Our pediatric emergency medicine team is here to care for your child when they need it most. We offer:
- Personalized, compassionate care for children – When an emergency strikes, we’re prepared to provide care that’s tailored to your child’s unique physical and emotional needs. Your child deserves the very best care available.
- World-class care in your neighborhood – With the Geisinger Janet Weis Children’s Hospital located in Danville and several emergency room locations throughout Pennsylvania, emergency care for your child is never far from home.
- Treatments powered by research – From routine to serious health issues, our drive to improve the health and lives of children is never-ending. Through ongoing education, research and innovation, we’re evolving pediatric care — taking the latest research-based treatments to care for children.
- Family support – We see your family like our family. As relentless advocates for children and their loved ones, we’re here to guide and support you every step of the way.