Anne E. Justice, MA, PhD
I use my skills as an anthropologist, population geneticist, and genetic epidemiologist to bring together the bio-cultural, genetic, and public health perspectives to investigate complex questions related to cardiometabolic risk across the lifecourse. Much of my past research focuses on interrogating the relationship between genetic and environmental factors that influence obesity risk in ethnically diverse U.S. and global populations. I have a strong research interest in the development of best analytical approaches for genetic and epigenetic data analysis to improve reproducibility and generalization of research findings. My current research aims to investigate the genetic and epigenetic underpinnings of obesity and its downstream influence on other metabolic diseases by applying longitudinal, integrated epigenetic/genetic/transcriptional analyses.
- Fernández-Rhodes L*, Graff M*, Buchanan VL, Justice AE, Highland HM, Guo X, Zhu W, et al. Ancestral diversity improves discovery and fine-mapping of genetic loci for anthropometric traits-The Hispanic/Latino Anthropometry Consortium. HGG Adv. 2022 Mar 11;3(2):100099. doi: 10.1016/j.xhgg.2022.100099. PMID: 35399580; PMCID: PMC8990175.
- Justice AE*, Young K*, Gogarten SM, Sofer T, Graff M, Love SAM, et al. Genome-wide association study of body fat distribution traits in Hispanics/Latinos from the HCHS/SOL. Hum Mol Genet. 2021. Epub 2021/06/25. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddab166. PubMed PMID: 34165540.
- Justice AEⱡ, Chittoor G, Gondalia R, Melton PE, Lim E, Grove ML, Whitsel EA, Liu C, Cupples LA, Fernandez-Rhodes L, Guan W, Bressler J, Fornage M, Boerwinkle E, Li Y, Demerath E, Heard-Costa N, Levy D, Stewart JD, Baccarelli A, Hou L, Conneely K, Mori TA, Beilin LJ, Huang R, Gordon-Larsen P, Howard AG, North KE. Methylome-wide association study of central adiposity implicates genes involved in immune and endocrine systems. Epigenomics. 2020 Sep 9. doi: 10.2217/epi-2019-0276. Online ahead of print. PubMed PMID: 32901515.
- Zhang Y, Ho K, Keaton JM, Hartzel DN, Day F, Justice AE, Josyula NS, et al. A genome-wide association study of polycystic ovary syndrome identified from electronic health records. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Apr 11. pii: S0002-9378(20)30428-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2020.04.004. PubMed PMID: 32289280.
- Justice AE*, Karaderi T*, Highland HM*, Young KL*, Graff M*, Lu Y*, Turcot V*, Auer PL, Fine RS, Guo X, et al. Protein-coding variants implicate novel genes related to lipid homeostasis contributing to body-fat distribution. Nat Genet. 2019. doi:10.1038/s41588-018-0334-2. Epub 2019 Feb 18. PubMed PMID: 30778226.
MA with honors, Anthropology, University of Kansas
PhD with honors, Anthropology, University of Kansas
Postdoctoral Fellow, Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill