Michael R Gionfriddo, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Gionfriddo is an assistant professor at Geisinger's Center for Pharmacy Innovation and Outcomes. Dr. Gionfriddo’s research aims to advance the science and practice of evidence based healthcare. Dr. Gionfriddo is an expert in evidence syntheses, both quantitative and qualitative, and is interested in both developing evidence synthesis as a method and studying how the results can be translated into practice, such as through clinical practice guidelines. Dr. Gionfriddo also studies how evidence is translated into practice at the level of the clinical encounter and how clinicians and patients make decisions. He particularly focuses on how clinicians and patients discuss how the evidence fits with the patient’s values and unique situation through a process known as shared decision making.As part of this research Dr. Gionfriddo has researched how care does not always align with either the evidence or the patient’s values and circumstances. To this end, Dr. Gionfriddo studies how effective interventions can be implemented into practice and how ineffective or unnecessary interventions can be de-implemented or de-prescribed.
- Gionfriddo MR, Hagan JB, Rank MA. Why and how to step down chronic asthma drugs. BMJ. 2017 Oct 16;359:j4438. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j4438. Full Text
- Jones LK, Greskovic G, Grassi DM, Graham J, Sun H, Gionfriddo MR, Murray MF, Manickam K, Nathanson DC, Wright EA, Evans MA. Medication therapy disease management: Geisinger's approach to population health management. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2017 Sep 15;74(18):1422-1435. doi: 10.2146/ajhp161061. Full Text
- Boehmer KR, Gionfriddo MR, Rodriguez-Gutierrez R, et al . (2016, Sept). Patient capacity and constraints in the experience of chronic disease: a qualitative systematic review and thematic synthesis. BMC Family Practice , 17:127. Full Text
- Leppin AL, Montori VM, Gionfriddo MR. (2015, Jan). Minimally Disruptive Medicine: A Pragmatically Comprehensive Model for Delivering Care to Patients with Multiple Chronic Conditions. Healthcare , 3(1), 50-63. Full Text
- Gionfriddo MR, Hagan JB, Hagan CR, Volcheck GW, Castaneda-Guarderas A, Rank MA. (2015, Jul). Stepping Down Inhaled Corticosteroids from Scheduled to as-needed in Stable Asthma: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Allergy Asthma Proc , 36(4), 262-267. Full Text
- Gionfriddo MR, Morey-Vargas OL, Brito JP, Leppin AL, Murad MH, Montori VM. (2014, Apr). Systematic reviews to ascertain the safety of diabetes medications. Curr Diab Rep , 14(4), 478. Full Text
- Gionfriddo MR, McCoy RG, Lipska KJ. (2014, Feb). The 2013 American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists' diabetes mellitus management recommendations: improvements needed. JAMA Intern Med , 174(2), 179-80. Full Text
EducationPharm.D., Wilkes University, 2006-2011
Ph.D., Mayo Clinic, 2011-2016