Victor G Vogel, MD
Victor G. Vogel, MD, MHS, FACP is the Director of the Cancer Service Line of the Geisinger Health System. Prior to his current appointment, Dr. Vogel served as the National Vice President for Research at the American Cancer Society. Dr. Vogel was previously Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine from, and Co-Director of the Magee-Womens Hospital/University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute Biochemoprevention Program. He served as the National Protocol Chairman of the National Cancer Institutes STAR Trial (Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene), and serves on the Board of Directors of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) clinical cooperative group. Dr. Vogel is the author of more than 250 articles, book chapters, and abstracts. He edited the books Management of Patients at High Risk for Breast Cancer and Handbook of Breast Cancer Risk Assessment: Evidence-Based Guidelines for Evaluation, Prevention, Counseling, and Treatment.
- Buchanan AH, Manickam K, Meyer MN, Wagner JK, Hallquist MLG, Williams JL, Rahm AK, Williams MS, Chen Z-M E, Shah CK, Garg TK, Lazzeri AL, Schwartz MLB, Lindbuchler DM, Fan AL, Leeming R, Servano PO, Smith AL, Vogel VG, Abul-Husn NS, Dewey FE, Lebo MS, Mason-Suares HM, Ritchie MD, Davis FD, Carey DJ, Feinberg DT, Faucett WA, Ledbetter DH, Murray MF. Early cancer diagnoses through BRCA1/2 screening of unselected adult biobank participants. Genetics in Medicine (published on line October 2017)
- Khatcheressian JL, Hurley P, Bantug E, Esserman LJ, Grunfeld E, Halberg F, Hantel A, Henry NL, Muss HB, Smith TJ, Vogel VG, Wolff AC, Somerfield MR, Davidson NE. Breast Cancer Follow-Up and Management After Primary Treatment: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update. J Clin Oncol 31(7): 961-965, 2013.
- Visvanathan K, Hurley P, Bantug E, Brown P, Col NF, Cuzick J, Davidson NE, DeCensi A, Fabian C, Ford L, Garber J, Katapodi M, Kramer B, Morrow M, Parker B, Runowicz C, Vogel VG, Wade JL, Lippman SM. Use of Pharmacologic interventions for breast cancer risk reduction: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Oncol 31(23): 2942-2962, 2013.
- Cuzick J, Sestak I, Bonanni B, Costantino JP, Cummings S, DeCensi A, Dowsett M, Forbes JF, Ford L, LaCroix AZ, Mershon J, Mitlak BH, Powles T, Veronesi U, Vogel V, Wickerham DL; SERM Chemoprevention of Breast Cancer Overview Group. Selective oestrogen receptor modulators in prevention of breast cancer: an updated meta-analysis of individual participant data. Lancet 381(9880):1827-1834 2013.
- Ingle JN., Liu M, Wickerham DL, Schaid DJ, Wang L, Mushiroda T, Kubo M, Costantino JP, Vogel, VG., Paik S, Goetz MP, Ames MM, Jenkins GD, Batzler A, Carlson EE, Flockhart DA, Wolmark N, Nakamura Y, Weinshilboum RM. Selective estrogen receptor modulators in ZNF423 regulation of BRCA1 expression: individualized breast cancer prevention. Cancer Discovery 3(7): 812-825, 2013.
- Vogel VG. Doctor, What if it Were Your Mother? Hope, Faith and Reason at the End of Life. WestBow Press, Bloomington, IN, 2014.
- Vogel VG, Dabbs DJ. “Epidemiology and breast cancer risk” In Breast Pathology, Second Edition. Dabbs DJ, editor. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2017, pp 50-64.
- Vogel VG. Epidemiology of Breast Cancer. In: Bland KI, Copeland EM, Eds. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Disease, 5th Edition, Volume 1, Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2018, 207-218
- Vogel VG. Primary prevention of breast cancer. In: Bland KI, Copeland EM, Eds. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Disease, 5th Edition, Volume 1, Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2018, 219-236
MD, Temple University Medical School, 1974-1978
MHS, The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1984-1986