Yasser El-Manzalawy, PhD
Dr. El-Manzalawy is a faculty member in the Department of Population Health Sciences. His research focuses on developing and disseminating innovative methods, frameworks and resources for supporting integrative and predictive analyses of biomedical data including genomics, omics, microbiome, imaging, environmental and wearables to better understand the biology and underlying mechanisms of complex diseases and treatments. His long-term research goal is to advance our understanding and make sense of complex longitudinal and multimodal EHR data through developing and applying integrative informatics tools and methodologies to enable and accelerate translational science.
To date, he has developed several novel algorithmic solutions and machine learning based tools for vaccine informatics, structural bioinformatics, genomics, metagenomics, multi-omics data integration, mHealth, and predictive modeling of EHR data.
- Matta J, Dobrino D, Yeboah D, Howard S, El-Manzalawy Y, Obafemi-Ajayi T. Connecting phenotype to genotype: PheWAS-inspired analysis of autism spectrum disorder. Front Hum Neurosci. 2022 Oct 12;16:960991. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2022.960991. PMID: 36310845; PMCID: PMC9605200.
- Abbas M, Morland TB, Hall ES, El-Manzalawy Y. Associations between Google Search Trends for Symptoms and COVID-19 Confirmed and Death Cases in the United States. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Apr 25;18(9):4560. doi: 10.3390/ijerph18094560. PMID: 33923094; PMCID: PMC8123439.
- El-Manzalawy Y, Abbas M, Hoaglund I, Cerna AU, Morland TB, Haggerty CM, Hall ES, Fornwalt BK. OASIS +: leveraging machine learning to improve the prognostic accuracy of OASIS severity score for predicting in-hospital mortality. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2021 May 13;21(1):156. doi: 10.1186/s12911-021-01517-7. PMID: 33985483; PMCID: PMC8118103.
- Abbas M, El-Manzalawy Y. Machine learning based refined differential gene expression analysis of pediatric sepsis. BMC Med Genomics. 2020 Aug 28;13(1):122. doi: 10.1186/s12920-020-00771-4. PMID: 32859206; PMCID: PMC7453705.
- Abbas M, Matta J, Le T, Bensmail H, Obafemi-Ajayi T, Honavar V, El-Manzalawy Y. Biomarker discovery in inflammatory bowel diseases using network-based feature selection. PLoS One. 2019 Nov 22;14(11):e0225382. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0225382. PMID: 31756219; PMCID: PMC6874333.
BS, Systems and Computer Engineering, Al-Azhar University
MS, Systems and Computer Engineering, Al-Azhar University
PhD, Computer Science, Iowa State University
Postdoc, Information Sciences and Technology, Penn State University