What small business owners need to know about the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
ACA for small businesses
Small businesses that have fewer than 50 full-time employees aren’t required to offer health insurance coverage under ACA. All small business plans offered by Geisinger Health Plan are compliant with the ACA and offer the required 10 essential health benefits.
Essential health benefits
Starting Jan. 1, 2014, health insurance plans offered in the individual and small group markets are required to cover:
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance abuse treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
Although a company would not be penalized for not offering employees health insurance coverage, your employees may be penalized if they are not covered.
If your company does not offer health insurance coverage to employees, they may shop for individual Geisinger Marketplace plans at geisingermarketplace.com or healthcare.gov. Your employees can also check if they're eligible for financial assistance at healthcare.gov.