Coronavirus coverage updates
Public health emergency ending
The federal public health emergency (PHE) is ending on Thursday, May 11. During the PHE, cost-sharing for COVID-19-specific services (e.g., testing, vaccines, treatments and telehealth services) was waived. After the PHE ends, Geisinger Health Plan will continue to cover the cost of vaccinations. However, cost-share for inpatient treatment and COVID-19 testing performed at a provider, urgent care or pharmacy will be reinstated. Members will be responsible for their plan-specific copay, coinsurance or deductible.
As a Geisinger Health Plan member, you’ll have no cost-sharing for the COVID-19 vaccine. Visit our COVID vaccine FAQs for more information.
Geisinger Health Plan (GHP) is waiving member cost-sharing for testing of COVID-19.
- Members will not pay for a diagnostic COVID-19 test administered to determine the need for health care treatment, and will not pay any visit fees to PCPs, urgent care centers or emergency rooms if they receive a diagnostic COVID-19 test during that visit. Testing and visit cost-shares in these circumstances will be waived for both in- and out-of-network providers. GHP does not cover costs related to COVID-19 surveillance testing for purposes such as work, school or travel.
These cost waivers will be in effect until May 11, 2023. This is applicable to all Geisinger Health Plan members, including self-insured/TPA groups.
- During the pandemic, Geisinger Health Plan waived COVID-19 member cost-sharing — such as deductibles, copays and coinsurance — for in-network inpatient treatment of COVID-19. These waivers were benefit enhancements that were not mandated by the CARES Act or other guidance. On September 1, 2022, these enhancements will end. Cost-sharing will be reinstated for all in-network inpatient treatment for COVID-19 beginning on or after September 1, 2022 — except monoclonal antibody treatment.
Cost-sharing for telehealth visits with participating network providers or our vendor Teladoc, for medical or behavioral health needs, whether or not the visit is COVID-19 related, will be waived through May 11, 2023.
- COVID-19 antibody testing will also be covered under any of these conditions:
- A member had symptoms consistent with COVID-19 infection and multiple negative tests
- A member who has recovered from a documented COVID-19 infection and is now considering plasma donation
- A child with suspected multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C)
- Antibody tests must be ordered by a healthcare provider. Cost-sharing for antibody tests is also waived. Contact the customer care team for additional information.
Questions about your coverage? Call the customer service phone number on the back of your member ID card.
What else we're doing for our members:
As a GHP member, you deserve access to mental health services if you need them. We can connect you with community mental health services, including doctors and healthcare providers offering telepsychiatry appointments, which are visits held over the phone or through video chat, like FaceTime.
How to get started
This service is available now, and year-round, to most GHP members. Just call 888-839-7972 (or find the number on the back of your insurance card) to get started. Our team is standing by Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to help.
We’ll be ready for anything else you need
Have questions about COVID-19? Visit the CDC website at cdc.gov/coronavirus for current news, testing information and prevention guidelines.