Our family doctors and advanced practitioners (which include physician assistants and nurse practitioners) provide checkups, physicals and screenings, as well as treatment of common illnesses and injuries.
- Same-day, evening and weekend appointments
- Telephone support through our nurse triage line
- Easy scheduling
- Routine care and preventive care
- Ongoing care for chronic health conditions
Have additional care needs? We can refer you to a specialist nearby.
And with plenty of lab, radiology and pharmacy services in your community, you don’t have to travel far to get all the care you need.
Frequently asked questions
A primary care provider, or PCP, is the main caregiver who manages most of your health concerns. PCPs provide checkups and screenings, as well as treatment of common illnesses and injuries.
There are four types of primary care providers:
- Pediatrician: These doctors care for children from newborns through young adults (up to age 18).
- Family doctor: These doctors provide care for the whole family — children and adults.
- Internal medicine doctor: These doctors care for adults and can help you manage chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, arthritis and heart disease.
- Advanced practitioner: These include physician assistants and nurse practitioners who work closely with your doctor to diagnose, treat and manage your care.
See closest urgent care or ER
Find a primary care doctor
Get 24/7 access to your health information
Participate in groundbreaking research
Primary care at Geisinger
Our family medicine specialists can provide care for you and your loved ones, from preventive care to treatment for illnesses and injuries to chronic care management.
- A lifelong partner for your health – Consider your family doctor your “home base.” We’re here for more than your annual checkup. We can help with chronic conditions and act as a trusted resource the whole family can turn to. The sooner you establish a relationship with your family doctor, the more information we have to work with — from a young age or over many generations.
- Knowledge and experience – All of our family doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are board certified, which means they have undergone rigorous national testing of their skills and are committed to continually learning and improving. Find a family medicine doctor near me.
- Nationally recognized preventive care – Our medical home model has earned national recognition for its effectiveness. How does this help you? The people we care for enjoy better health and are hospitalized less often. With our focus on preventive health measures, our program is among the top 5 in the nation when it comes to achieving testing and screening goals.
- A full spectrum of services – In addition to family care, many of our clinics also offer additional services such as cardiology and heart care, lab and imaging, medication therapy management, nephrology (kidney care), nutritional support, OBGYN services, rheumatology and more. And if you need specialized care, we can refer you to a specialist who’s right for you. Many of our sites also provide a nurse navigator. Your navigator not only coordinates your medical care but can also arrange services to help you stay in your home.
- Appointment scheduling made easy – As a Geisinger patient, you can schedule an appointment online, check test results or message your primary care doctor's office using our patient portal, myGeisinger. You can also access myGeisinger on your smartphone using our MyChart app.
- Convenient locations with same- or next-day appointments – We have clinics across Pennsylvania, so you can choose the one that’s best for you. Looking for a doctor that’s close to home? Need convenient appointments, including same-day, evening and weekend appointments? We’ve got you covered. Find a primary care location.