Weight-loss support tailored to your needs
For many of us, losing weight and keeping it off can be a life-long battle. That’s because there are many factors that can affect your weight — and many health issues that can result from it, including diabetes, sleep apnea, heart disease and even cancer. We’re here to help. From nutrition support and non-surgical solutions to weight-loss surgery, our weight-loss team is here to help you feel your best and partner with you for lifelong health.
Healthy weight, healthy life
You don’t have to travel far to find high-quality care that goes beyond weight loss. Our weight-management program treats the whole person through mind, body and lifestyle changes. We'll partner with you in a step-by-step program with a team that's here to see you succeed and thrive.
You'll have a whole care team rallying behind you, including:
- Nutrition weight-loss management physicians, a nutrition and weight management specialist who will work with you to fully understand your weight-loss goals and health history to create a personalized plan for your weight loss.
- Registered dietitians, who will help you adjust to life throughout your weight-loss journey. He or she will create a custom nutrition plan as the first step toward your weight-loss goals. If you decide to have bariatric surgery, a nutritionist will also help you understand your new diet guidelines.
- Bariatric nurse coordinators, who are trained to answer questions you may have at any step, including those about your treatment and healthcare.
- Behavioral health specialists, who will help you work through your emotional experiences. Their role in supporting your mental health is an important one in your weight-loss journey.
- Bariatric surgeons, who will help you fully understand your options for bariatric surgery. Besides performing your procedure, they’ll also teach you about necessary lifestyle changes, including diet, exercise and continuing overall healthy habits.
- Certified physician assistants, who partner with your doctors and your entire care team to follow and monitor your progress.
Weight-loss surgery can help reverse heart disease, lower blood pressure, boost energy levels, improve confidence and self-esteem, improve fertility, reverse Type 2 diabetes, lower cholesterol and ease joint pain. However, surgery isn’t for everyone — and it’s not your only option. We’ll discuss your surgical and non-surgical options for meeting your goals.
Weight-loss services at Geisinger
Our weight-management specialists are dedicated to providing personalized care and helping you feel your best. We offer:
- Focused care – From diet and exercise to bariatric surgery, everyone’s needs are different. Our weight-loss experts will partner with you to create a treatment plan that meets your unique needs.
- Minimally invasive surgery – We use minimally invasive techniques, such as robotic surgery, whenever possible. This means smaller surgical incisions, shorter recovery and faster return to your daily activities.
- Experience – Geisinger’s ProvenCare® Bariatric program is nationally recognized as a tool to ensure our patients receive the highest level of care. Our bariatric program maintains Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) accreditation. MBSAQIP is a national program that sets strict standards for high-quality bariatric care.
- Teamwork – Our team members specialize in lifestyle and behavioral education, support groups, nutritional counseling and medical care to help you succeed before and after bariatric surgery. We provide personalized education and support to help you progress toward your weight-loss goals.