Cardiac ablation treats arrhythmias, or heart rhythm problems. By using heat from radiofrequency (microwave) energy or extreme cold, cryoablation, we can target the heart tissue causing the irregular heartbeat.
Ablation is precise and has very few risks. We typically use ablation if medication does not help treat the arrhythmia.
What you should know about ablation:
- Your doctor will use a catheter (thin tube) to perform the ablation. It is usually an outpatient procedure with a quick recovery.
- Ablation is an effective treatment for several types of arrhythmias, including atrial fibrillation. We are able to selectively destroy problematic heart tissue, so that the rest of your heart is not damaged.
Why choose Geisinger for your ablation?
- Highly sophisticated electrophysiology (EP) lab: Our EP lab is world-class. It features the latest, most advanced equipment for performing ablations and other treatments for arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation.
- Depth of experience: We perform more ablations for arrhythmias than any other program in the region. We see a wide variety of cases and treat a high number of people.
- Trusted expertise: The Geisinger doctors who perform ablations are specialists, with advanced training and extensive experience.