Internal medicine doctors: Your partners in health
Our internal medicine doctors can help you take charge of your health.
What is internal medicine?
Most primary care doctors fall into one of two categories: family medicine and internal medicine. While both treat adults and undergo extensive training in specialty areas, internal medicine physicians typically care for adults (ages 18 and older).
What sets internal medicine specialists apart is that they specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases in their patients. They’re key partners in your overall health and in preventing disease.
When you choose an internal medicine doctor, you’ll have lots of avenues for care, in wellness services such as geriatric clinics and integrative medicine clinics. Internal medicine doctors also offer pre-surgical consultations for anyone considered high-risk to help minimize or understand any risks associated with surgery.
Plus, you’ll work with an entire team of specialists rallying around your health, including:
Why choose an internal medicine doctor?
Put simply, you’ll have lots of avenues for care. Like wellness services, such as geriatric clinics and integrative medicine clinics, on offer from our internal medicine physicians. Or presurgical consultations for anyone considered high-risk to help minimize or understand any risks associated with surgery.
Plus, when you choose an internal medicine doctor, you get not just a physician, but an entire team of specialists rallying around your health. Among the professionals you may see:
- Behavioral health specialist – Helps you work through your emotional experiences
- Case manager – Helps you get the right care at the right time, based on your unique needs
- Nurse navigator – Answers questions you may have at any step, including those about your treatment and healthcare
- Pharmacist – Fills prescription medications, gives you information on how to take your medications and alerts you to any possible side effects
- Social worker – Helps you work through any issues associated with your health condition and find access to resources you may need (including food, clothing and shelter)
Internal medicine at Geisinger
Get the care you need — everything from preventive care and treatment for illnesses and injuries to chronic care management.
- Nationally recognized preventive care – Our medical home model has earned national recognition for its effectiveness. How does this help you? The people we care for enjoy better health and are hospitalized less often. With our focus on preventive health measures, our program is among the top five in the nation when it comes to achieving testing and screening goals.
- A full spectrum of services – Besides primary care, many of our clinics also offer other services, such as heart care, lab and imaging, medication therapy management, kidney care, nutritional support, OB-GYN services, rheumatology and more. And if you need specialized care, we can refer you to a specialist who’s right for you. Many of our sites also provide a nurse navigator. Your navigator not only coordinates your medical care, but can also arrange services to help you stay in your home.
- Appointment scheduling made easy – As a Geisinger patient, you can schedule an appointment online, check test results or message your primary care doctor's office using our patient portal, MyGeisinger. You can also access MyGeisinger on your smartphone using our MyChart app.