Most people will experience back problems at some point in their lives. Whether caused by aging, poor posture, injury, sports or arthritis, back and spine conditions are painful and debilitating.
What you should know about spine conditions
- Spine problems can be complex and difficult to diagnose. Imaging tests including X-ray, MRI or computerized tomography (CT) may be used to pinpoint the problem.
- Spine conditions are caused by a wide range of problems, including:
- Herniated disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Sports-related neurological Injuries
- Spinal tumors
- Spinal instability
- Spinal cord and column Injuries
- Radiculopathy (pinched nerve)
- Compression fractures
- Lumbar flat back syndrome
- Spina bifida
- Spinal deformities
Why choose Geisinger for your spine condition care?
- Our nationally-recognized neurosurgery and spine program uses a team approach to treat spine conditions. Because Geisinger is actively involved in national research, our patients benefit from the availability of leading-edge treatments driven by our evidence-based ProvenCare® program.
- Geisinger’s specialists use the most progressive techniques available, including a number of minimally invasive or noninvasive treatments.
- Before surgery or treatment, we encourage our patients to participate in preoperative spinal classes. These classes are an opportunity to ask questions about care and treatment options.
The goal of spine treatment is to eliminate pain and regain mobility. We use advanced surgical and nonsurgical approaches, including:
- Cervical spine surgery
- Lumbar spine surgery
- Spinal deformity surgery
- Thoracic spine surgery
- Caudal steroid injection
- Rehabilitation therapies