Allergies and asthma
Allergic reactions happen when the immune system reacts to something that’s usually harmless. Asthma is a chronic breathing problem, which causes airway inflammation.
What you should know about allergies and asthma
- Asthma symptoms can include coughing, wheezing and chest tightness, and are often brought on by allergens, physical activity, cold weather and stress. Although asthma can't be cured, it can be effectively managed.
- Depending on severity of your allergies, symptoms can be as mild as a runny nose and itchy eyes or more severe in form of hives, swelling or life-threatening airway constrictions.
Why choose Geisinger for your allergy and asthma care?
- We build strong partnerships with our adult and pediatric allergy and asthma patients, providing the ongoing care and monitoring needed to live active lives.
- Because allergies and asthma can change over time, we create a treatment plan that includes regular follow-up care and education and tailor them to meet any lifestyle.
Treatment options for allergy and asthma conditions
Through the most advanced allergy testing tools available, Geisinger can effectively treat asthma, environmental allergies, medication allergies, hives and swelling and bee sting allergies:
- Oral or topical medications, including antihistamines and steroids
- Environmental modification and trigger prevention
- Allergen immunotherapy other therapies, for long-term treatment of common allergies and asthma
- Testing for food allergies and providing food allergy action plans
- Newer medications like Omalizumab (Xolair) for treatment of allergic asthma and hives
- Testing for medication allergies like penicillin testing
- Testing for bee sting allergies and administering venom immunotherapy