Aortic stenosis is a narrowing of your aortic valve. If the valve becomes too narrow, blood cannot properly flow through. Your heart has to work harder, which may cause you to feel weak or out of breath. We help relieve these symptoms in many people with aortic stenosis.
What you should know about aortic stenosis:
- Many people with aortic stenosis do not experience symptoms until the valve has significantly narrowed. Symptoms include:
- Feeling out of breath
- Chest pain or pressure
- If your symptoms worsen, you should seek treatment. We typically treat aortic stenosis by replacing the valve.
Why choose Geisinger for your aortic stenosis care?
- Latest treatments: We bring the latest thinking to caring for heart valve disease. We are able to treat aortic stenosis in several ways, from medical therapy to minimally invasive procedures and heart valve surgery.
- Specialized care: When you come to Geisinger for a heart problem such as aortic stenosis, you will see a specialist with advanced training in treating that condition.
- More access to TAVR: While transcatheter aortic valve replacement, or TAVR, is widely available for people with a high or medium surgical risk, we also offer it to people at lower risk. We do so through participation in a research trial. TAVR is a minimally invasive procedure, meaning less down time and a quicker recovery time.