Cardiomyopathy is a heart muscle disease that causes your heart to weaken. The heart muscle becomes enlarged and gets thicker or more rigid, which makes pumping blood difficult. We treat all types of cardiomyopathy, a disease linked to arrhythmias and heart failure.
What you should know about cardiomyopathy:
- There are four main types of cardiomyopathy:
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Restrictive cardiomyopathy
- Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy
- Depending on the type of cardiomyopathy you have, you may experience symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue or excessive swelling in your ankles, feet and legs, stomach or neck.
Why choose Geisinger for your cardiomyopathy care?
- Comprehensive treatments: We treat cardiomyopathy in the least invasive way possible. For people with severe arrhythmias who are at risk for heart failure, we can implant a pacemaker or defibrillator. We can also offer heart surgery.
- Availability of specialists: Cardiomyopathy care is a specialized field, so you want specialists helping you. At Geisinger, we have experts in diagnosing and treating all types of cardiomyopathy, from more common forms to the most rare.
- Team approach to care: Our surgeons, electrophysiologists and cardiologists collaborate with one another to create personalized treatments for each person. At any time, world-class experts in the field are available to review your diagnosis and treatment.