CyberKnife non-invasive cancer treatment
For the hardest-to-treat tumors, CyberKnife gives you options.
What is CyberKnife?
CyberKnife® robotic radiosurgery is a non-invasive treatment for tumors that are hard to reach or inoperable. This robotic therapy targets complex tumors — including cancerous and non-cancerous tumors — by delivering high doses of targeted radiation safely, anywhere in the body. And it’s offered at the Frank M. and Dorothea Henry Cancer Center at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center in Wilkes-Barre.
No incisions involved. So you have quicker treatments, less pain and faster recovery.
The most advanced technology in the U.S. — and it’s only at Geisinger
We’ve brought the latest CyberKnife technology to northeast Pennsylvania to help you get better, faster. The CyberKnife S7 is the first technology of its kind in the country and works up to 95% faster than previous models, building treatment plans in a few minutes (compared to a few hours). This means we can start treating your cancer sooner — so you can return to your everyday life.
The S7’s advanced technology calculates multiple treatment options based on your body so that all treatment possibilities can be explored. This allows us to build an even more personalized treatment plan.
This technology is the first of its kind in the U.S., and it’s available at the Frank M. and Dorothea Henry Cancer Center at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center.
Why should I consider CyberKnife?
CyberKnife is uniquely able to track tumors that move when you breathe, such as lung cancer. And because it’s so precise, there’s less radiation exposure to healthy tissue around the tumor. With minimal side effects and less recovery time, you can get back to being you — sooner.
Whether you’re not well enough to have surgery or you just want an effective alternative, CyberKnife might be a good option for you. Your care team can help you decide. We also welcome second-opinion consultations.
We know that cancer isn’t one-size-fits-all — that’s why we’ll work with you to find the treatment that’s best for you.
For complex cancers or tumors that are hard to reach, surgery may not always be an option. CyberKnife is a non-surgical option that targets complex tumors anywhere in the body, including:
Before beginning CyberKnife treatment, you’ll have imaging tests to pinpoint the exact size and location of your tumor. This helps us create a treatment plan that includes a specific dose of radiation based on the type of tumor you have.
Precise, highly targeted doses of radiation can treat tumors that are hard to reach or otherwise inoperable.
CyberKnife is also used to treat non-cancerous tumors.
CyberKnife treatment at Geisinger
Put your trust in a team that’s well-equipped and experienced in treating even the most complex tumors. Getting you well is our goal — and we’ll use innovative ways to do it. When you choose us for your cancer care, you’ll receive:
- The knowledge you need – Your cancer team is powered by surgeons, doctors and specialists with years of training and experience. Their expertise has been honed by treating many people with inoperable cancer every year. And their focus is on delivering the care best suited to your needs.
- Access to clinical trials – Our cancer research and clinical trials give you access to new treatments, often before they become widely available. Participating in a trial may help improve your condition, even if standard approaches haven’t worked in the past. Find a clinical trial near you.
- Care from all sides – Cancer isn’t simple, so we put all our best minds to work on it. Your care team is multidisciplinary, which means it has many physicians from different specialties who come together to create a personalized treatment plan for you. That means you can see your care team in one location, all during the same visit.
- Excellent care where you live – With locations throughout northeast, central and south-central Pennsylvania, our experienced cancer team provides consultations and comprehensive care. We offer leading-edge treatment options and tailored-to-you care, backed by the expertise and innovation of a nationally recognized health system.
- Comprehensive specialty care – From chemotherapy, radiation and minimally invasive surgery options to national clinical trials and genetic testing, our leukemia specialists are dedicated to offering innovative treatment options and personalized care in convenient locations, so you don’t have to travel far. We’ll work with you to develop a personalized care plan based on your individual needs.
- Genetic testing and counseling programs – Special research programs, such as MyCode®, are only available at Geisinger. Participating in MyCode allows you to contribute to genetic research. By participating, some may receive information about their own genetic risks. Learn about MyCode.
- Cancer survivorship program – Just because your treatment is complete doesn’t mean your journey has ended. We offer a variety of support resources focused on helping you live your healthiest life. Learn more.