The right care when it matters most
Infectious diseases are those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites. Most of the time, these infections are treatable at home or with medications provided by your primary care doctor.
Sometimes infections can be medically complex to treat — whether they’re rare or emerging conditions or resistant to standard treatments. That’s where an infectious diseases specialist comes in. These specialty-trained doctors use the latest research to treat challenging infections and keep them from spreading.
Types of infectious diseases
We treat a full spectrum of infectious diseases, including:
- Abscesses, boils
- Antibiotic-resistant infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Complicated pneumonia
- Fevers of unknown origin
- Fungal infections
- Influenza (flu)
- Lyme disease
- Mpox (monkeypox)
- MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) and other staph infections
- Recurrent fevers
- RSV (respiratory syncytial virus)
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Travel-related infectious diseases
- Tuberculosis and other mycobacterial infections
Services we offer
Planning to travel out of the country? Our infectious diseases specialists can help you get ready with country-specific vaccinations for a memorable and healthy trip.
Trust our specialists for:
- Individualized pre-travel consultation
- All recommended immunizations
- Malaria prevention pills when indicated
- Medication for self-treatment of traveler's diarrhea and other conditions
- Detailed printed information on staying healthy while traveling abroad
- 24/7 on-call service for patients who become ill during or after travel
Our infectious diseases team provides consultations and assistance to other healthcare facilities in the region, making comprehensive care accessible in rural Pennsylvania. For more information about consulting services, call 570-271-6408.
Infectious diseases at Geisinger
- Care you can trust – Our infectious diseases specialists are trained and experienced in treating a wide variety of conditions, from medically complex infections to chronic, challenging-to-treat conditions.
- Resources for those who have HIV – Geisinger’s Ryan White HIV Program provides care and resources for people who are living with HIV and their families close to home.
- Comprehensive travel medicine services – We offer a wide range of vaccinations and continually monitor the health conditions present in various countries, including those in South America, Southeast Asia and Africa. Geisinger is one of the few approved providers in the region for yellow fever vaccination.
- Care where you need it – You’ll find our infectious diseases specialists at several locations throughout Geisinger’s service area, including in Danville, Lewistown, Scenery Park and Muncy. We also offer telehealth services for added convenience. Learn more about telehealth.