Opioid addiction and prevention
Death rates from opioids in our region are four times greater than that of New York City. Here at Geisinger, we are changing that. Our addiction medicine doctors deliver treatments that lead to successful recovery. We also partner with providers in Geisinger hospitals and clinics to lower addiction risks.
Geisinger is home to doctors with specialized training (fellowships) in addiction medicine. Our sole focus lies in using proven methods demonstrated through research to break the cycle of addiction. Find out more about addiction medicine.
Why choose Geisinger for opioid addiction services?
- Pain management alternatives: Since 2014, Geisinger has reduced opioid prescriptions by nearly half – from 60,000 prescriptions per month to 31,000. Instead, we help patients achieve lasting pain relief with alternative options, including physical therapy and behavioral health treatments like cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Medication Therapy Disease Management Program: When treatment for chronic pain involves medications that can be misused, specially trained pharmacists work alongside doctors to coordinate care at the individual level. Our program also includes social workers who help people overcome challenges related to chronic pain, including anxiety and depression. Learn more about the Medication Therapy Disease Management Program.
- Medication-assisted treatment: We prescribe medications to reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms. We also coordinate with area counseling services to give you excellent chances for maintaining long-term recovery.
- Early detection: Addiction medicine doctors are available to evaluate people receiving care for other conditions who show signs of addiction. We connect those in need with information about treatment options. Identifying concerns early means people can get on the road to recovery sooner.
Opioid addiction conditions and treatments
Our addiction medicine doctors consider your unique needs and circumstances to develop a recovery plan that’s right for you.
- Alcohol addiction
- Opioid addiction
Related specialties and institutes
- Addiction medicine
- Geisinger Marworth Alcohol & Chemical Dependency Treatment Center
- Neurology and neurosurgery
- Pain medicine