Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
If diet and exercise are not producing the slim stomach you desire, you may want to consider a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck procedure removes excess fat and skin and tightens stomach muscles. At Geisinger, our surgeons have been performing tummy tucks with excellent results for many years.
What you should know about tummy tucks:
- Potential candidates for the procedure include relatively fit and healthy people who have flabby skin or muscles that don’t respond to diet and exercise. A tummy tuck may not be a good choice if you:
- Are obese
- Plan to get pregnant, since pregnancy can undo the surgical tightening of muscles and skin
- Are not at a stable weight (if your goal is to lose weight, you should accomplish that before the procedure)
- A tummy tuck will produce more dramatic results than a non-surgical fat-reduction procedure such as CoolSculpting. But the recovery time is longer, and the cost is higher.
Why choose Geisinger for your tummy tuck?
- Variety of tummy tuck options: We offer a variety of tummy tuck options, tailored to meet each body shape and desired result. Options include:
- Traditional tummy tuck: This procedure addresses your entire abdominal area. Sometimes we move the belly button to produce a natural-looking result.
- Extended tummy tuck: This procedure is usually performed on patients who have lost a substantial amount of weight but still have excess skin that detracts from their appearance. In addition to the abdominal area, fat and skin from the sides (love handles) and hips are removed as well.
- Mini-tummy tuck: Fat and excess skin are removed only from the navel to the pubic bone area. Recovery time is shorter than a traditional or extended tummy tuck.
- Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck: This procedure removes more skin than a traditional tummy tuck and is a good option for people who have lost a substantial amount of weight through diet and exercise or bariatric surgery.
- Experienced cosmetic surgeons: It’s important to find a board-certified plastic surgeon with years of experience with body contouring to ensure you get your desired results. All of our plastic surgeons have specialized training and board certification, meaning they passed rigorous national exams. They have extensive experience performing every type of tummy tuck procedure.
- High patient satisfaction: Geisinger’s Cosmetic Surgery department has been named a Guardian of Excellence Award winner two years in a row by Press Ganey Associates, a national tracking firm. This award means that Geisinger’s cosmetic program scored in the country’s top 5 percent for patient experience.
Treats these conditions
You can feel confident that our experienced plastic surgeons will listen to your goals and your desired outcome.
- Excess skin due to dramatic weight loss