Pacemakers and defibrillators
Pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) are implantable heart devices that save lives. Geisinger cardiologists and electrophysiologists use these devices to regulate your heartbeat if you have an arrhythmia or suffer from heart failure.
What you should know about pacemakers and defibrillators:
- Pacemakers are generally for people whose heartbeat is too slow (bradycardia). Pacemakers use a battery to send electrical signals to your heart to regulate your heartbeat when needed.
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators are for people whose heartbeat is too fast (tachycardia). An ICD delivers a small electric shock to your heart if it starts to beat dangerously fast or erratically.
Why choose Geisinger for your pacemaker or defibrillator?
- Specialization with implantable devices: We have a great deal of experience implanting pacemakers and defibrillators.
- Innovative approaches: We have pioneered new approaches to how we pace the heart. This work has led to better, safer, and more efficient and effective cardiac pacing for people with pacemakers.
- World-class electrophysiology labs: We have the best equipment available to serve people with arrhythmia. Geisinger EP labs are cutting-edge and offer many types of tests that can save lives.