Chronic disease care
We specialize in caring for diseases that last months or years. Our expertise is especially valuable if you have more than one of these conditions. While doctors cannot typically cure diabetes, heart failure or other chronic diseases, we can help you feel better and enjoy a longer, fuller life.
We provide the coordinated care you need, helping you live as actively and independently as possible. With our innovative programs, you can control chronic disease and other illnesses and take back your life.
Why choose Geisinger for your chronic disease care?
- Coordination: Our primary care offices provide you with a true medical home, connecting the dots so you do not feel confused or uncertain. We help you find additional specialists and ensure your needs are met if you go to the hospital. We also track your medications to avoid drug complications, with pharmacy staff available at many locations to answer any questions. Your medical history always goes with you via our electronic medical record.
- Extra support: Many of our primary care sites provide a nurse navigator. Your navigator not only coordinates your medical care, but can also arrange services to keep you in your home. Learn more about our primary care services.
- Results: Our medical home model has earned national recognition for its effectiveness. The people we care for enjoy improved health, with fewer hospitalizations. We particularly focus on prevention to avoid medical crises, with our program among the nation’s top 5 when it comes to achieving testing and screening goals.
- Thoroughness and consistency: We have developed specific, evidence-based care for many chronic diseases. We have also determined the best way to help you return to your primary care doctor after a hospitalization. We ensure you reach your treatment goals, with reminders built into your electronic medical record. We take the same approach across our network, ensuring quality care wherever you go.
Chronic disease conditions and treatments
We provide the personal attention and coordinated care needed for a full range of chronic diseases:
- Allergies and asthma
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and emphysema
- Heart disease, including chronic heart failure (CHF) and coronary heart disease (CHD)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol (hyperlipidemia)