When you or someone you love is sick or hurt, every second counts towards getting them well. Turn to us when those moments matter.
No matter how careful you are, emergencies sometimes happen. Our Emergency Departments are staffed with highly trained, compassionate emergency medicine physicians and staff, providing medical care to patients around-the-clock.
Head to the nearest Geisinger emergency room if you’re experiencing a life-threatening condition and need immediate care. If you can’t drive, call 911.
Several of our 9 emergency rooms are located in hospitals that serve as trauma centers, which means they’re equipped to care for the most critically ill or injured patients.
Go to the emergency room for:
- Bone breaks
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Fever in a newborn (less than 3 months old)
- Heavy bleeding
- Issues with pregnancy
- Loss of consciousness
- Serious head injuries
- Sudden worsening of a chronic condition (e.g., asthma or allergies)
If you’re not sure whether the situation is an emergency, call 911 and ask them to send an ambulance.
Want to know more about when to head to the ER or what to bring with you? Read our frequently asked questions.
Emergency room locations in Pennsylvania
Our emergency rooms are open night and day, every day. Find the closest ER to you:
- ER in Bloomsburg
- ER in Camp Hill
- ER in Danville
- ER in Jersey Shore
- ER in Lewistown
- ER in Scranton
- ER in Shamokin
- ER in South Wilkes-Barre
- ER in Wilkes-Barre
Meet our team of emergency medicine doctors.
Emergency room care at Geisinger
Our ERs are staffed by skilled, compassionate doctors and nurses who are specially trained to treat emergency illnesses and injuries. We offer:
- The care you need, when you need it – Our emergency rooms have emergency medicine doctors available around the clock, as well as specialists if you need additional care. Your care will include the latest treatment options, delivered by a skilled team focused on getting you safely through your health emergency.
- Life-saving stroke care – Everyone in the communities we serve deserves access to the best possible stroke care. That’s why we’ve worked hard to achieve Comprehensive Stroke Center designations at two of our hospitals — Geisinger Medical Center and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center. That means we’ve proven that we provide the highest level of care for patients with the most severe and complicated types of strokes. Geisinger Holy Spirit and Geisinger Community Medical Center have also been nationally recognized for providing exceptional care for stroke patients, earning designations as Primary Stroke Centers.
- Advanced heart attack care – When you or someone you love experiences a heart attack, our experienced team will be there the moment you arrive to treat you quickly and explain what’s happening to you and your family. Four of our hospitals — Geisinger Community Medical Center, Geisinger Holy Spirit, Geisinger Medical Center and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center — have been recognized by the American Heart Association as Mission: Lifeline® Heart Attack Receiving Centers. This means we’re ready to provide exceptional care to those experiencing the most severe type of heart attack, an ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI).
- Trauma centers for critical injuries – When you or someone you love is severely injured, having fast access to surgeons, emergency physicians, anesthesiologists, nurses and a fully prepared facility is crucial. Geisinger Medical Center is the only Level I Trauma Center in central PA, which means the hospital is equipped to provide the highest level of trauma care to those who are critically ill or injured. Three of our hospitals — Geisinger Community Medical Center, Geisinger Holy Spirit and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center — are designated as Level II Trauma Centers, providing advanced surgical care and equipped 24/7 with resources to stabilize and treat most patients.
- Support services & amenities – We’re here to help you and your loved ones successfully navigate a trip to the emergency room. Our hospitals provide spiritual care, interpreter and special communications services, patient liaisons, complimentary WiFi, ATMs, healthy dining options, gift shops and notary public services, among other amenities.