The GWV campus includes the Richard and Marion Pearsall Heart Hospital, the Frank M. and Dorothea Henry Cancer Center, the Tambur Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the Critical Care Building, all providing top-rated specialty care.
Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ at GWV
Recovering from a heart attack, heart surgery or living with heart disease can be challenging. Often times, diet changes are necessary for patients to be able to maintain a healthier lifestyle. Geisinger Wyoming Valley offers the area’s only intensive outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program through the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™.
Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™ is designed to restore and maintain patient’s heart health. It can even prevent, stop or undo the progression of heart disease through lifestyle changes.
Participants in the program attend half-day sessions at GWV’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Center twice a week for nine weeks, focusing on nutrition, fitness, stress management and social support. Patients are guided through every step.
Providers can refer patients to the program, but patients may also sign themselves up. A patient's family members who wish to participate in the program to support a loved one facing a heart condition may also sign up.
To enroll in and upcoming session or for more information on the program, click here or call 570-808-7973.
Richard and Marion Pearsall Heart Hospital
The Richard and Marion Pearsall Heart Hospital at Geisinger Wyoming Valley is the region’s only dedicated heart hospital and provides the compassionate and innovative treatments for virtually all types of cardiovascular and thoracic conditions.
The electrophysiology team at the Pearsall Heart Hospital is renowned for their innovations in treating heart rhythm disorders, with the facility boasting a state-of-the-art electrophysiology suite. Pearsall Heart Hospital is also home to northeastern Pennsylvania’s largest team of dedicated vascular and endovascular practitioners; the region’s only Women’s Heart and Vascular Health program; a Level I heart attack program; round-the-clock, state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization labs; and fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgery specialists.
Frank M. and Dorothea Henry Cancer Center
The Frank M. and Dorothea Henry Cancer Center at Geisinger Wyoming Valley is home to a team of cancer specialists who create personalized care plans to give patients more hope in their fight against cancer.
Since opening in 1992, the center has grown to house the region’s largest team of fellowship-trained cancer specialists, meaning they’ve undergone additional training in cancer care. Patients have access to a team of hematologists and oncologists with specialized skills to deliver tailored care to meet the needs of our patients. We offer the latest care options and diagnostic tests, including a dedicated Center for Women’s Imaging.
The Henry Cancer Center is accredited by the Commission on Cancer, a branch of the American College of Surgeons that recognizes quality and clinical expertise. It also has certifications for meeting the highest standards for cancer care, including being among the first in the nation to receive accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
Tambur Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
If your newborn requires additional medical care, the Tambur Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center is Luzerne County’s only NICU providing specialized care for infants. Our NICU is staffed 24/7 by neonatologists, neonatal nurse practitioners, neonatal nurses and respiratory therapists — all equipped with special training to provide the care and support your baby needs.
Located right next to our labor and delivery unit, the Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center NICU features 12 private family rooms. Our NICU staff cares for premature and term infants requiring specialized care such as continuous cardio-respiratory monitoring, supplemental oxygen, mechanical ventilation and CPAP for respiratory support, IV fluids and IV antibiotics for suspected infections and intensive phototherapy to treat severe jaundice. Should your baby need additional care, our LifeFlight ground and air transportation teams are available 24/7 for swift transfer to the Geisinger Medical Center NICU in Danville.
To contact the Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center NICU, call 570-808-8655.
Geisinger Wyoming Valley has been leading orthopaedic care nationwide by providing outstanding care at GWV in Wilkes-Barre.
The Geisinger Fragility Fracture Care Program began at GWV and has been introduced to other locations throughout the system. The program aims to get older patients with fractures the surgical and medical treatment they need as soon as possible to limit possible complications. Geisinger’s multidisciplinary orthopaedic team is trained in caring for older individuals, and each patient is assigned an orthopaedic care coordinator to keep track and guide patients through their recovery.
For these reasons, GWV was among the first hospital’s to be named a Certified Premier Level Geriatric Fracture Care Program by the International Geriatric Fracture Society CORE Certification Program.
Orthopaedic services don’t only treat older individuals. Within our 25,000 square-foot-facility, clinicians provide specialized care for all types of orthopaedic injuries, including orthopaedic trauma, joint replacements and outpatient rehabilitation.
Led by one of the nation’s few neurosurgical oncologists, Geisinger Wyoming Valley’s neurosciences team provides extraordinary care matched only by the nation’s finest institutions. Our staff includes northeastern Pennsylvania’s only fellowship-trained interventional neuroradiologist/endovascular neurosurgeon. GWV is also home to an Aging Brain Program that is benefiting our region’s senior population through industry leading care for memory loss and cognitive issues.
GWV current accreditations and designations
- Accreditation by the American College of Radiology (ACR) for computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear medicine at Geisinger Wyoming Valley, and ultrasound at Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre
- Accredited Level II Trauma Center by the Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation
- American Association of Blood Bank's (AABB) Accreditation for Transfusion Activities
- American College of Surgeons’ National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- American Heart Association Mission: Lifeline ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) receiving center
- Blue Distinction Center+ (BDC+) in the area of Maternity Care by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Certification with The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval™ Disease-Specific Care for Hip Fracture, Total Hip Replacement and Total Knee Replacement
- Certified by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI®) Certification Program, an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) for outpatient hematology-oncology practices
- Certified Premier Level Geriatric Fracture Care Program by the International Geriatric Fracture Society CORE Certification Program
- Designated Leader in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation
- Distinction Center (BDC) in the area of Cardiac Care by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Hospital Accredited by The Joint Commission
- Joint Commission certification as a Primary Stroke Center
- The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) honored the Endoscopy Unit at GWV for demonstrating a commitment to patient safety and quality in endoscopy and following ASGE guidelines on privileging, quality assurance, endoscope reprocessing, CDC infection control and staff competency
- The Joint Commission Certification for Destination Therapy LVADs