Pediatric kidney disorders
Kidneys play a key role in keeping children healthy. Problems in these organs can be acute (short term) or chronic (long term). If not properly managed, these disorders may cause kidney failure, with the organs no longer able to function. We offer complete kidney care including renal replacement therapy for non-functioning kidneys.
Our pediatric nephrologists specialize in children’s kidney disease care. They evaluate and treat your child using state-of-the-art medicines and therapies. For your convenience, we offer clinic appointments in locations throughout our system.
Why choose Geisinger for care of kidney disorders?
- Complete diagnosis and treatment: Our nephrologists have specific training to diagnose and manage children’s kidney-related disorders. They oversee an experienced team that includes nurses, social workers and dietitians. Together, the team follows children throughout their care, to help ensure nothing is missed. When necessary, our nephrologists partner with other specialists, including pediatric urologists and pediatric surgeons.
- Pediatric clinic: Multiple Geisinger specialists attend a monthly clinic for treating children who have kidney failure or are at risk of developing the condition.
- Advanced technologies: We use ultrasound, CT and MRI, special renal scans and X-ray to effectively evaluate kidney structure and function. Also, we use kidney biopsy to evaluate specific kidney disease.
Kidney-related conditions and treatments
Our pediatric nephrologists manage complex kidney disorders and provide support for patients, collaborating with other pediatric specialists to deliver the best care.
- Acquired kidney diseases
- Blood or protein in urine
- Congenital, cystic and hereditary kidney diseases
- Electrolyte and fluid abnormalities
- Kidney failure
- Kidney or bladder infections
- Kidney stones
- Lifestyle modifications, including diet and exercise
- Metabolic kidney disorders
- Vesicoureteral reflux (reverse flow of urine)