Some pediatric heart conditions are congenital, meaning they are present before birth. Others are acquired during childhood. At Geisinger, we treat the full range of heart conditions, for children of all ages. Thanks to new technologies, we can even diagnose a heart condition while your child is still in the womb.
Why choose Geisinger for pediatric heart care?
- Team approach: Our pediatric cardiologists, surgeons and numerous other providers work as a coordinated team to diagnose problems ranging from mild to severe.
- Extensive training and experience: Deep knowledge in pediatric heart conditions allows our specialists to better evaluate and treat children, using appropriate therapies and the state-of-the-art technology for which we’re known. Find a provider.
- Advanced diagnostic testing: We use advanced imaging and other testing to diagnose children. Digital telemedicine allows us to coordinate with other medical professionals across Pennsylvania and provide diagnostic help. We offer non-invasive and minimally invasive approaches, including:
- Fetal echocardiography
- 3-D echocardiography
- Advanced MRI
- CT angiography
- Convenient appointments: Heart care can pose a burden on families. Geisinger offers appointments across our system, so that you can receive as much care as possible in a convenient location close to home.
Specialized prenatal care center: Our Center for Prenatal Pediatrics provides specialized care for mothers and babies before and during delivery. This special service offers:
- Coordination of care between pediatric heart doctors and other specialists who create an individualized treatment plan before your child is born. (Learn more about our newborn services and care for genetic disorders and birth defects.)
- Prenatal diagnosis using the latest technological advances
- Prenatal counseling, and genetic counseling if needed, to help you understand the condition and treatment options, as well as what you can expect long-term
- Advance coordination with the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) to provide immediate, specialized care after your baby is born
- High-risk pregnancy management by maternal fetal medicine specialists and early intervention (this may include surgical correction in the womb by a pediatric heart surgeon). Learn more about high-risk pregnancy.
- Lifelong care: Some children are diagnosed with congenital heart disease, meaning they were born with a particular heart condition. Because of advances in pediatric heart surgery, most of these children now live into adulthood. Our congenital heart disease specialists provide the lifelong follow-up needed.
Heart-related conditions and treatments
Geisinger pediatric heart specialists diagnose the full range of childhood heart conditions, while offering a variety of effective treatments.
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Arrhythmia ablation
- Chest pain
- Complex heart defects including single ventricles
- Congenital heart defects
- Fainting (syncope)
- Heart artery or vein blockages
- Heart murmurs
- High cholesterol
- Holter and event monitoring
- Hypertension program
- Kawasaki disease
- Lung, tracheal and chest wall deformity surgery
- Mechanical heart support
- Minimally invasive treatments via cardiac catheterization
- Pacemakers and defibrillators
- Rheumatic fever
- Septal defects (atrial and ventricular septal defects)
- Valve repair and replacement surgery